Monday 29 June 2009

Glastonbury '09...


Well, what can I say? Surely this year's Glasto has to rate right up there with the very best. A combination of factors - the outstanding roster of acts assembled onto what has to be one of the most impressive bills the organisers have ever managed to attract and some fabulous weather conditions - made it a joyous occasion and, for me personally, one of the most enjoyable weekends I've had in a long time.

Let's start with the music. The acts ranged from the sublime (Bruce Springsteen, The Specials, Jarvis Cocker) to the ridiculous (pretty much everybody else). My personal highlights? Well, the sight of Florence from Florence and the Machine, resplendant in red wig and matching blouson was certainly a sight for sore eyes. Lovely looking lad, isn't he? I've certainly never seen a size 13 look so elegant on a stack heeled wellington boot. In the lingerie department, there was surely no one to match Bat for Lashes. Three more sumptously adorned pairs of pins than the drummer, guitarist and lead singer's I doubt will ever grace the pyramid stage again. Let's just hope the lad on the zither makes a bit more of an effort next time. But the most iconic image of the festival has to be that of a sweat-soaked Springsteen, backlit by a supertrooper searchlight, launching into a heartbreaking rendition of 'The River' with steam peeling off him and cascading off into the west country air like solar flares, making him look for all the world like the hardest working cowpat in show business.

But I guess the key to this year's festival's success had to be the weather. Barring a couple of spots of rain on Saturday evening, we were able to spend much of the weekend in the garden and thus were spared the dual horrors of making sense of the Beeb's inpenetrable interactive schedule on the red button and Frank Ferdinand.

Well done everyone!!




xxx


Mort

2 comments:

  1. saw some - Specials were great, what I saw of Neil Young top as well... White Lies - saw them backing Snow Patrol in March and thought they were good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I enjoyed a lot of what I saw too Furtherton. The Specials were particularly good, I thought - the music sounded so fresh. Hard to believe I queued up in a dirty mac to buy that first LP from Woolies all of 30 years ago...

    xxx
    Mort

    ReplyDelete